Mold Related Illness

Mold exposure can occur in the home, workplace or school resulting in serious health effects such as asthma, sinusitis, rashes, severe fatigue, headaches, chronic congestion, gastrointestinal symptoms, itchy unusual rashes and “brain fog” among others. The symptoms could be due to allergy to mold and/or reactions to mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are known to be neurotoxic, inflammatory and immunotoxic, which can either upregulate or downregulate immune system function.

The first and foremost requirement for mold exposed patients is to remove them from moldy damp environments and other sources of mold such as their furniture This can pose a very difficult problem especially when it involves a patient’s home. Patients often require long-term antifungal medication, detoxification, and intense nutritional support sometimes intravenous. They often require desensitization to mold and other inhalants.

Decontamination of a mold contaminated environment can be quite challenging it should not be undertaken lightly, especially if someone is already having symptoms caused by mold. Bleach should not be used to clean surfaces, but rather HEPA vacuum and Borax. Usually it is best to call in a professional firm experienced in mold remediation. Frequently belongings such as furniture, books, and mattresses cannot be sufficiently “demolded” and have to be abandoned or risk contaminating another environment.

The goal of remediation or moving to a new location is to have the home as mold free as possible. Probably the most cost effective and reliable method of testing would be the Environmental Relative Moldiness Index (ERMI). ERMI testing was developed by the EPA and uses PCR DNA technology, which is used to measure dust samples. Submitting dust samples from the home is simple, straightforward and reliable. Ideally the score should be less than 2 before assuming that the environment is safe enough to return. Various laboratories are able to carry these tests out. 2 of them are: Real-Time Laboratories-855-692-6767. Mycometrics-732-355-9018.

Mold exposed patients often become colonized with fungus. This colonization involves the skin and mucosal surfaces such as the nose, sinuses, throat, esophagus intestinal tract and bronchial system. Invariably these patients become allergic to mold and often develop allergies to substances they were never previously allergic to such as dust mites, pollens and foods. Treatments include binding agents to sequeste mycotoxins, antifungal drugs, detoxification and desensitization.

Typically urinary mycotoxin testing is ordered to assess the degree of exposure and what types of fungus the patient has been exposed to...

A typical treatment would generally include: